Saturday, June 11, 2011

Don't Paint Everyone With The Same Brush

I like to cruise other websites to see what is going on, and have a lot of friends that do a lot of country cruising and talking, too. A lot of times they talk about things that are better left alone.

I am amazed at the people who think because they like this or like that, it is the only way it can be. I like traditional and classic country music, but I don't get mad at people who like these young stars. I hate that they get to perform under the country music banner, but a lot of times this is because of the labels, the producers, and the people who promote the music. Most people forget that the first million selling country music album was "The Outlaws" featuring Waylon, Willie, Jessi, and Tompall. After that great success, everybody was shooting for the sky. Fortunately for us, Randy Travis was the first soloist with "Storms of Life" to go platinum. Since then, the more pop, the more sales. The more sales, the more money.

I get irritated at the Grand Ole Opry for some of the artists they have, but then I remind myself, if my daughter doesn't do it first, that without ticket sales the Opry is nothing but a memory.

It also bothers me when people will say something about somebody they don't know, or blame somebody for something they did or didn't do, and not give a complete explanation. I have seen all the major artists that have been on tour in my time, with the exception of Ernest Tubb, Waylon Jennings, and Buck Owens(and that was my fault). With most, I have a photo to remind me of the moment, whether it be when I was working, playing, or just in the right place at the right time. I have been fortunate to work around some artists through the companies with which I have been associated, but my biggest thrills have always been at concerts, or weeks spent in Nashville as a fan. My experience tells me that there are always two sides to a story, and most people always slant the story to cast the best light on somebody of their choosing.

I have known major artists who demanded ridiculous things in their contract riders. I have worked around artists that had way too much ego. Some of them thought of themselves as Superman after the cure for Kryptonite was found. I was being courted for employment by the staff of one of the biggest, and I found that, though his stage personna is one thing, his off stage demeanor is awful.

I know there are those who are just great people. In many years of having different times to visit with some of the stars, they are great people who seem to care for everybody, and go out of the way to help others. I personally think Garth Brooks is one, and always has been one of these. I have been fortunate to be around many of the Opry stars, and most of them that have performed regularly also fall in this category.

Let us just remember that all these people are humans. They are just like us.

Let's judge each person on his own merits, and only after we have looked at all sides of a situation.

And don't paint everone with the same brush.